Best Practices for Working With Appraisers
We’ve put together some suggested best practices that may be helping when working with appraisers:
- Have written policies and procedures.
- Document USPAP violations, unprofessional conduct, unethical conduct, and contractual breaches.
- Provide appraisers with written notice of their removal from an approved panel or inclusion on an exclusion or probation list.
- In the notice, specify the reason they are being removed or added, as applicable.
- Engage the appraiser in addressing any disputes or concerns over his or her removal.
- Give the appraiser the chance to dispute any alleged violations.
- Remember that if you remove an appraiser from an approved list in connection with a material violation, you probably have an obligation to report the violation to the state appraisal board.
- Other than reporting to the appraisal board where required, think twice before you publicly broadcast alleged appraiser performance issues, especially before they are documented and substantiated.